A Southwestern take on tabouleh with roasted tempeh that complements the other ingredients in this attractive, nutritious, and delicious vegan side dish, leaving you satisfied with a proper portion.
- 6 ounces tempeh, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup raw spelt berries (can substitute wheat
- 1 large Anaheim chili pepper
- 1/2 large tomato, diced
- 2 cups fresh curly parsley, chopped (1 large bunch)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (1/2 small bunch)
- 1 tablespoon fresh scallion, chopped
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook spelt berries in boiling water until “al dente” (still slightly firm), about 40 minutes. Drain and refrigerate until cold.
- Char Anaheim pepper over open flame. Place in plastic bag to sweat until skin becomes loose and easy to peel, about 10 minutes. Peel and dice.
- Roast tempeh in oven until crisp, about 20 minutes. Refrigerate until cold and dice.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well. Serve cold.