Here is a wonderful island version of slow-cooked beef using everyday ingredients found in most of our kitchens. This can be done easily in a one pot slow cooker.
For the stew
- 1 ½ lb beef stew meat cut into 1 inch cubes (boneless short ribs work particularly well for this)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion large dice
- 1 ½ cup brewed coffee (leftover is fine)
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 ½ cup coconut water
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp thyme (fresh or dried)
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- Combine the salt, thyme, paprika, chili powder, garlic and powdered ginger in a bowl and use to coat the meat well. Let meat marinate for 30 minutes or over night.
- Heat oil in 2 quart pan.
- Brown beef on all sides.
- Add onion to pan and cook for one minute.
- Add coffee, coconut water and ketchup. Add just enough hot water to almost cover the beef.
- Bring to a simmer then lower heat to low setting.
- Cook for 2 hours until meat is tender.
- To serve heat, remove the beef from the liquid then reduce the cooking liquids by half for a richer, thicker texture.
- Serve with a mixed vegetable rice side dish, such as Spring Pea, Pepper and Zucchini Rice (below)
Spring Pea, Pepper and Zucchini Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup zucchini squash sliced
- ¼ cup sweet pepper (fresh or jarred ) diced or sliced thin
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- Combine water, peas, pepper and squash in a small pan with oil and salt. Bring to simmer and cook for one minute. Fold into hot, cooked rice and serve.