An easy-to-make, three-part dinner with fresh textures and loads of flavor.
Chicken breast with honey-lime marinade
- 2 each chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest (optional)
- 1 clove garlic chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, ground
Mix honey, lime juice, zest (if used), garlic, salt and pepper.
Pour over chicken breasts and let sit for 10 minutes to marinate.
Grill, broil or bake the chicken at 350°F until done (about 8 minutes). (165°F internal temperature)
Meat should be firm to touch but not pink inside when sliced and not dry.
Warm remaining marinade in pan and bring to boil for 1 minute. Pour over chicken when done.
- 1 avocado, pulp removed and diced or smashed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp toasted almonds, broken up or chopped
Mix together and use as salsa on chicken
Slivered Tomato, Carrot and Cucumber Salad
- 1 medium tomato cut into 1/4 inch thick wedges
- 1/2 cup cucumber, cut into thin half moons
- 1/4 cup carrot sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar (or any available vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (best quality available)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
Toss all together and serve.
Ranch-style Pinto Beans
- 1 cup dried beans (pinto, red, kidney or black beans are good for this)
- 4 cups water
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 Tbsp cumin ground
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a simmer. Stir once.
Lower heat and cook very slowly for about 1.5 hours or until the beans are soft.
Take care that the water does not boil off too quickly and the beans become dry.
You should be left with several cups of wonderfully rich-tasting broth to go with the beans.