Fried vegetarian patties bursting with beet flavor and vitamins.
RECIPEMakes 8-10 burgers
- 4 1/2 cups cooked rice, brown preferred
- One 16 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup roasted cooled beets (about 1-2 beets), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup red or green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle pepper, soaked in water, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, raw old fashioned oats
- In a food processor, pulse the cooked black beans, maintaining some whole beans in the puree. Add beets and pulse then toss with rice in a large bowl.
- Toss peppers, mustard, pepper, and salt into beet mixture.
- Blend parsley and oatmeal in food processor and fold into beet mixture.
- Scoop out 4-6oz. portions and form into smooth flat patties. Patties can be frozen for later use or cooked immediately by searing in a lightly oiled pan for about 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve on warm bun with condiments of choice.
*In Bon Appétit kitchens, menu items containing beans are made with cooked dry beans. You can substitute cooked dry beans for canned beans in your home as well. They may take longer to prepare, but have fresher flavor and are lower in sodium.